People might have heard of Rishikesh or Varanasi as being the holiest places when it comes to sacred options but a tour to Madhya Pradesh is like no other. This place has many holy spots which have its own religious appeal. Some of the places to definitely check out and not miss in Madhya Pradesh are:-
1) UJJAIN:- This is the most beautiful place of Madhya Pradesh and the first preference of many visitors. It is amongst one of the sacred places out of even in Hinduism in India. It boasts of rich cultural heritage and traditions of Hinduism. It was described by poet Kalidas ‘the town fallen from heaven to bring heaven to earth’. Some of the famous tourist attractions of this place are the Ved shala, Gopal Mandir, Mangalnath temple, Kal Vairav temple, Harshiddi temple and these are namely few.
2) CHITRAKOOT:- This place of high unmatched spiritual legacy is known for its great mythological significance. Not only Lord Rama and site spent eleven years out of fourteen here in exile it is also a meditation shrine for many legendary sages. Its popular tourist spots include Kamdagiri temple, Kamtanath, Bharat Milap, Gupt Godavari, ram ghat and deep Dan.
3) MAHESHWAR:- Situated on the banks of river Narmada this place is an epitome of beauty by man-made creations. Along with beautiful temples they are also renowned for their Maheshwari sarees and fabrics. Some of its popular tourist spots are Narmada ghat, Ek Uuhi Dutta temple, Rajwada, Ahliya Bai fort and palace, Akhileshwar temple, Maheshwari sarees and Chattri of Devi Ahilya Bai.
4) OMKARESHWAR:- This island is supposed to be blessed as it is in Om form which is a sacred symbol in Hinduism. The Om shape is what depicted the name of the island. There are many pilgrims dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the 12 Jyotirlingas in India. The place is surrounded by lofty hills along which the river Narmada flows making it a serene pool. This enhances the beauty of this island more. Its prominent attractions are Siddhanath temple, Gauri Siddhanath temple, Shri Omkar mandhata, 24 avatars, and Kajal rani cave.
5) SANCHI:- The town of Sanchi is famous for preserving the world architectural wonders from the Mauryan period. The stupas, Ashoka pillar, and many temples seek global audiences all throughout the year. If you have heard about Ashoka’s tales in your childhood then it will definitely bring out the child in you.
6) AMARKANTAK:- Amarkantak has a huge religious impact. The three river Narmada, Sone, and Johlia emerge here. Apart from that the Satpura range and Vidhya range also meet here with the Maikal hills acting as a fulcrum between the two. Popular tourist attractions are Dughdadhara, Sonmuda, Pataleshwar Mahadev temple, Kapil dhara, Shri Yantra temple, and Narmada Ugdam and Kund.
7) PACHMARHI:- This is the tallest and the queen of the Satpura range. It was discovered by Captain James Forsyth in 1857. This place offers great peace and serenity. It is one of the most popular hill stations of Madhya Pradesh. There are many Buddhist temples, caves, and waterfalls found in this era. Its main tourist attractions are Pandava caves, Jata Shankar caves, Dhoopgarh, Mahadeo hills, Chota Mahadeo, Handi Koh, Satpura national park and Chauragarh temple.
Amarkanth is a popular pilgrimage center of Hindus which gives it the name ‘Teerthraj’ meaning king of pilgrimages. Apart from these Madhya Pradesh is also popular for mosques like grandiosd mosque, Taj-Ul-Masjid, Jama Masjid, and Moti Masjid, Buddhist temples like stupa of Sanchi and more than hundred gurudwaras in Madhya Pradesh.