Barcelona, the capital of Catalonia is one of the 17 autonomous communities in Spain. Catalonia is an important destination in Spain presently and its deeply rooted cultural origin makes it quite different from the rest of Spain. Additionally, Catalonian independence is an important issue among its residents as they consider Barcelona and Catalonia to be independent of Spain.
Here are some things to know before traveling to Barcelona
- Barcelona has two co-official languages, namely Spanish and Catalan. Both languages are quite similar as they share the same roots. Yet the Catalan is different in the sense that it’s more like French or Italian. Locals speak Catalan language on a daily basis and even children learn this language in school. But even if you speak in Spanish the locals will understand you.
- If you hear the locals talking about Barna, then you should know that it’s the nickname for Barcelona.
- If you want to explore the real Barcelona then visit the neighborhoods like Gracia, Poble Sec, and Poblenou. This is where you get the real essence of Barcelona.
- You should also have a clear idea about when to visit Barcelona. Anytime from January to Semana Santa is the right time to visit Barcelona as the Holy Week starts off and this is a great boost for tourism here. You might as well visit in late September or October as the Mediterranean offers the perfect weather to enjoy swimming. However, you should remember that August is the worst time to visit Barcelona as during this time the locals literally empty the city.
- You should also choose your meals carefully while in Barcelona. If you end up in the wrong restaurant or Tapas bar, then you will feel as if they all are trying to feed you the same food. Moreover, everything will seem overpriced but not to your satisfaction. So you must do some research.
- You must plan ahead of your trip. For popular sites like Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, and Picasso Museum you will need to book tickets even before you arrive in Barcelona.
The best thing to do is to book Barcelonian day tours and you are sorted because they will take care of everything on your behalf to make your trip to Barcelona a very comfortable affair without you facing any kind of trouble while touring.